All applicants, foreign-trained and US/Canadian trained:
- Must have passed Part 1 and Part 2 of the National Dental Board Examination (NBDE) to apply. The Integrated National Board Dental Examination is available for adminstration effective August 1, 2020. An exception is made for the NBDE Part 2 for US/Canadian 3rd Year dental students/rising 4th year dental students. Request an official score report be submitted via the ADEA-PASS application portal.
- Advanced Dental Admissions Test (ADAT) is optional. Submit official score reports via the ADEA-PASS application portal.
- All applicants are required to submit a minimum of four (4) recommendation letters: One (1) of the four letters must be an Institutional Evaluation letter and three (3) of the letters must be professional evalution letters from dental faculty. Applicants must submit any additional letters directly to the PASS application. Additional letters will not be accepted if sent directly to the Admissions Office.
For foreign trained applicants applying via the ADEA-PASS portal, the program code to select is AEGD1567:
- Submission of an official score report of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of at least 100 is required. The institution code for Columbia University College of Dental Medicine is 2094. Offical score reports should be submitted via the ADEA-PASS application portal. Applicants can submit a TOEFL waiver request form to be exempt from the requirement if you have earned, or will earn prior to enrollment, a degree (master's or doctorate) completed at an international institution where English was the only language of instruction. Applicants that have obtained a master's or doctorate degree in the United States, Canada (except Quebec), United Kingdom, or other countries where English is the primary language should indicate the appropriate response on the TOEFL waiver request form. Complete the form, print and submit with the appropriate transcripts. Waiver requests will not be reviewed without the supporting documentation attached. Submit all documentation to email@example.com. PLEASE NOTE: If you attended an Advanced Standing DDS/DMD program in the United States you do not need to submit a TOEFL Waiver request.
For US/Canadian trained applicants applying via the ADEA-PASS portal, the program code to select is AEGD120:
- Eligible applicants must be graduates of approved dental schools in the United States or Canada. Columbia University Medical Center requires that all hired dental residents have either a US or Canadian dental degree. Otherwise, applicants cannot be hired.
- Eligible applicants must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents
Dental Matching Program
The AEGD-NYPH Program participates in the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program for residency applicants that are graduates of approved dental schools in the United States or Canada. The school’s match program number is 327037.
Gainful Employment Disclosures (please read)
Besides the application requirements described above, international students must provide the following information:
Official evaluation of all documents from foreign institutions that are presented as part of the application process is required. Applicants must submit official transcripts via the ADEA-PASS application portal. We will accept evaluations from the organizations listed below. Please address any questions about services directly to the organization. Evaluations must contain course-by-course assessments.
World Education Services
P.O. Box 745
Old Chelsea Station
New York, NY
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 92970
Milwaukee, WI 53202-0970
Attending an AEGD program in New York does not necessarily allow students without a DDS/DMD from an ADA accredited program to practice dentistry in the US. For more information about licensing issues, please contact the responsible State Department of Education or the American Dental Association.
How to Apply
- Applicants must apply to the program through the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS), via the PASS website.
- Applicants that attended accredited dental schools in the US or Canada are eligible to apply to program code AEGD120. All other applicants of non-US/Canadian dental schools are eligible to apply to program code AEGD1567.
- The application deadline is November 1st of the year prior to program admission. All information including recommendation evaluations and National Board scores should only be submitted through PASS. Do not send these documents directly to the program, unless requested by the Admissions Office.
- Applicants must submit an application fee (see below for payment information). All application fees are non-refundable.
- Submit a 2x2 passport size photograph in jpeg format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is $125 application fee for those applying to the University-based program to be submitted by credit card at the same time you submit your application. For more information and payment options, please visit our Postdoctoral Application Fee page.