Externships in AEGD, Endodontics, Orthodontics, Periodontics, or Prosthodontics
The externship program in Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD), Endodontics, Orthodontics, Periodontics, or Prosthodontics (currently not accepting applications) is available to third or fourth-year dental students enrolled in US or Canadian dental schools who plan to apply to one of the postdoctoral programs or dentists enrolled in a GPR or AEGD residency program. Visiting externs may attend classes, observe the postdoctoral students in the clinic, and participate in supervised chairside assisting. There is a limit of two externs per month/per specialty. Time commitments vary per program, please review the chart below. Visit requests will be accepted during the Spring semester (February through May). Contact the Admissions and Student Affairs office if you have a visit request after this time period. Applications should be submitted at least 1 month prior to the desired dates requested.
|Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD)||1/2 day - 1 full day maximum|
|Endodontics||1-2 full days|
|Orthodontics||1-2 full days (excluding Friday)|
|Periodontics||3 days (Monday -Wednesday)|
|Prosthodontics||1-3 days (Wednesday-Friday)|
- Applicants must submit an application to be considered
- All applicants must be dental students enrolled in their 3rd or 4th year of a US or Canadian dental school and be in good academic standing or dentists enrolled in residency programs - AEGD or GPR
- A letter from the Dean or other official at the dental school/residency program granting permission for the student to participate in this program is required
- Applicants must be vaccinated
- The College of Dental Medicine does not provide liability/malpractice insurance or health insurance for visiting students. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide the liability/malpractice coverage from their dental school stating the student will be covered for their activites while at Columbia University Medical Center, as well as health coverage.
In the event of an emergency, Student Health Services would be available to the visiting student and will be appropriately billed.
There is no tuition charge for this program, but participants must find their own housing and pay for their transportation and living expenses.
If you have additional questions, write to: firstname.lastname@example.org