Advanced Standing Program for Foreign Trained Dentists
The Advanced Standing Program (ASP) is designed for graduates of a recognized foreign dental school who want to practice dentistry in the United States. The two and a half year full-time program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) leads to the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree.
Please submit your application through ADEA CAAPID.
- Length of Program: 30 months
- Application Program Deadline: August 1
- Program Start Date: January 2
- Class Size: 10
- Degree Awarded: DDS
Requirements to apply to program
Preference will be given to those applicants that are US Citizens or US Permanent Residents and graduated from a recognized foreign dental school
English Language Proficiency
- Must be proficient in the English language.
- All Applicants must take the TOEFL to be considered for admission.
- Accept Internet based TOEFL (iBT) scores only
- Must submit original TOEFL score report directly to program (not to ADEA CAAPID)
- A minimum score of 100 on the iBT
National Board Dental Examination Requirements
- Program requires passage of Part I & II NBDE to be considered for admission. Both exams are mandatory.
- Must submit original NDBE I & II score report directly from the ADA to Columbia Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Candidate’s copies are not accepted.
Letter of Evaluation
- Letters of recommendation from one faculty member and the academic dean of the original dental school, as well as one post-doctoral reference, if applicable.
- Applicants must provide Letters of Evaluation, sent directly to ADEA CAAPID.
Transcripts and Evaluations
- Transcript evaluation- Columbia University College of Dental Medicine requires Advanced Standing applicants to the DDS Program to provide official evaluation of all documents from foreign institutions that are presented as part of the application process. Applicant must submit to ADEA CAAPID a detailed evaluation by either ECE or WES
- A non-refundable check or money order (from a US Bank) in the amount of $100 made payable to "Columbia University".
- Make sure your name is clearly legible on the check so we could match it up to your application.
- Credit cards are not accepted at this time
- The check must include your name and CAAPID number.
Advanced Standing Program
630 West 168 Street, PH7 West 318
New York, NY 10032
Other things to consider
- NYS Licensure requires 6 years of education prior to the Advanced Standing program (1 year pre-professional, 5 year professional): www.op.nysed.gov/prof/dent/dentlic.htm
- Bench test will be administered at the time of interview; interviews are by invitation only
- During your first semester, drug testing will be required (as is required of all Clinical students at CUMC)
- After acceptance, deposit of $5,000 will be required
Ms. Diana Lugo
Tuition and Fees
Information on the cost for the Advanced Standing Program as well as information regarding financial aid, can be found at: Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid