Steven M. Erde, MD, PhD
Before Joining the College of Dental Medicine, Dr. Erde worked at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital (NYP) as Vice President of Information Technology where he architected and deployed a patient portal and a real-time asset tracking system for critical biomedical devices. Prior to NYP, he worked as Senior Vice President for Allscripts and Senior Information Technology Architect for Montefiore Medical Center.
During the 1980s, Dr. Erde was instrumental in bringing IT to Weill Medical College of Cornell University by creating and running the Office of Academic Computing, which evolved into the information technology organization for the entire medical school. He was responsible for developing educational software, an internet-based telepathology system, as well as numerous clinical, research, and administrative systems.
Dr. Erde received his PhD in Anatomy and Cell Biology from Columbia University in 1984 and his MD from Cornell University in 1986. Dr. Erde stayed at Cornell and New York Hospital for postgraduate training in Anatomic Pathology and Neuropathology, and he joined the Department of Pathology as an Assistant Professor in 1991.
In addition to Information Technology and Informatics, Dr. Erde is an Instructor in the Clinical Gross Anatomy course taken by first-year medical and dental students at Columbia, thereby sharing both his anatomical and pathology expertise.
- Assistant Professor of Oral Health Informatics (in Dental Medicine) (Oral Pathology) at CUMC
- Chief Information Officer, College of Dental Medicine
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- PhD, 1984 Anatomy & Cell Biology, Columbia University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, NY
- MD, 1986 Medicine, Cornell University Medical College, NY
- Internship: 1987 New York Hospital - Cornell University Medical Center
- Residency: 1990 New York Hospital-Cornell University Medical Center
- Fellowship: 1992 New York Hospital - Cornell University Medical Center