How to Apply
Students must apply to the program through the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS), via the PASS website. Application deadline is September 1st. Applicants are required to submit all materials to PASS by the application deadline. PASS is only able to forward applications when all requirements have been met. Applications submitted after the deadline or not completed by the deadline will not be processed by the Admissions Office.
The Prosthodontics program accepts applicants from US/Canadian accredited schools as well as foreign-trained applicants. All candidates must possess a DDS/DMD degree or foreign equivalent prior to the start of the program.
You will get an email within several weeks of submitting your online application advising you of the completeness of your file. Please allow ample time to request documentation to be sent via the ADEA-PASS portal.
Advanced Dental Admissions Test (ADAT)
- The ADAT is recommended for 3rd and 4th year dental students, practicing dentists interest in post-graduate training and international dental students. It is important for all candidates to remain informed of the ADA's Important Updates. For applicants that have taken the ADAT, you are to request an official score report be submitted via the ADEA-PASS application portal.
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- For foreign-trained dentists, a TOEFL of at least 100 is required. All candidates must submit an official score report via the ADEA-PASS application portal. The institution code for Columbia University College of Dental Medicine is 2094.
- All applicants are required to submit a minimum of four (4) recommendation letters: One (1) must be an Institutional Evaluation letter, three (3) must be academic letters from dental school faculty or professional letters from dental professionals in a supervisory role. Any additional letters must be submitted directly to the PASS application. Additional letters will not be accepted if sent directly to the Admissions Office.
- Submission of an application fee of $125 that must be submited by credit card at the same time you submit your application. For more information and credit card payment options, please visit our Postdoctoral Application Fee page. All application fees are non-refundable. No other method of payment will be accepted.
- Submit a 2x2 passport size photograph in jpeg format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Official dental school transcripts are to be submitted via the ADEA-PASS portal.
Dental Matching Program
The Postdoctoral Prosthodontics Program participates in the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program. The school’s match program number is 900192.
Some applicants will be chosen for interviews, which are required before acceptance.
Besides the application requirements described above, international students must provide the following information:
- Official evaluation of all documents from foreign institutions that are presented as part of the application process is required and should be submitted via the ADEA-PASS application portal. We will accept evaluations from the organizations listed below. Please address any questions about services directly to the organization. Evaluations must contain course-by-course assessments.
World Education Services
P.O. Box 745
Old Chelsea Station
New York, NY
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 92970
Milwaukee, WI 53202-0970
Attending this program in New York does not necessarily allow students without a DDS/DMD from an ADA accredited program to practice dentistry in the US. For more information about licensing issues, please contact the responsible State Department of Education or the American Dental Association.
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine does not and will not provide a letter certifying that an international student who has completed this program is qualified for a US DDS.