- DDS or DMD degree or foreign equivalent
- Only US and Canadian applicants are required to have passed Part 1 of the National Dental Board Examination (NBDE); Part 2 of the NBDE is recommended. Request official score reports be submitted via the ADEA-PASS application portal.
- Advanced Dental Admissions Test (ADAT) is recommended. Request an official score report be submitted via the ADEA-PASS application portal.
- For Foreign trained dentists, a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of at least 100 is required. The institution code for Columbia University College of Dental Medicine is 2094. Official score reports are submitted via the ADEA-PASS application portal. Applicants can submit a TOEFL waiver request form to be exempt from the requirement if you have earned, or will earn prior to enrollment, a degree (master's or doctorate) completed at an international institution where English was the only language of instruction. Applicants that have obtained a master's or doctorate degree in the United States, Canada (except Quebec), Australia, United Kingdom, or other countries where English is the primary language should indicate the appropriate response on the TOEFL waiver request form. Complete the form, print and submit with the appropriate transcripts. Waiver requests will not be reviewed without the supporting documentation attached. Submit all documentation to email@example.com. If you attended an Advanced Standing DDS/DMD program in the United States you do not need to submit a TOEFL Waiver request.
- This program does not require the GRE.
Dental Matching Program
The Postdoctoral Periodontics Program participates in the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program. The school’s match program number is 542558.
Some applicants will be chosen for admission interviews, which are required before acceptance.
Besides the application requirements described above, international students must provide the following information:
- Official evaluation of all documents from foreign institutions that are presented as part of the application process is required and should be submitted via the ADEA-PASS application portal. We will accept evaluations from the organizations listed below. Please address any questions about services directly to the organization. Evaluations must contain course-by-course assessments.
World Education Services
P.O. Box 745
Old Chelsea Station
New York, NY
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 92970
Milwaukee, WI 53202-0970
Attending this program in New York does not necessarily allow students without a DDS/DMD from an ADA accredited program to practice dentistry in the US. For more information about licensing issues, please contact the responsible State Department of Education or the American Dental Association.
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine does not and will not provide a letter certifying that an international student who has completed this program is qualified for a US DDS.
How To Apply
Students must apply to the program through the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS), via the PASS website. Application deadline is Aug. 15.
In addition to your application, you must submit the following application fee (see below for payment information). All application fees are non-refundable.
There is $125 application fee for those applying to the University-based program to be submitted by credit card at the same time you submit your application. For more information and payment options, please visit our Postdoctoral Application Fee page.