Office of Patient Services
Who loves going to the dentist? We all know dental visits can be difficult and overwhelming at times. The Office of Patient Services (OPS) is here to help. We provide patient advocacy and social work services to ensure your patient experience is a pleasant and positive one.
OPS delivers the highest quality care in a patient-centered, humanistic manner to current and future patients at CDM’s clinics. OPS also participates in the education of the dental students and residents related to caring for patients in a holistic way as complete people. You are in excellent hands.
To empower patients and students and promote positive oral health, the Office of Patient Services
- Addresses the dental needs of the community and develop supportive services that increase access to quality oral health care
- Assess and identify barriers to receiving care at CDM's clinics.
- Partners with the clinical practice leaders to resolve patient issues with clinical care
- Provides service delivery that utilizes social work student interns and builds the practice capacity of dental students
Patient Advocacy Services
- Act as the liaison between patients and clinic faculty/staff within the Clinics at CDM
- Address patients concerns and complaints by listening to patients and their families and helping them present facts to the appropriate faculty/staff
- Develop acceptable resolutions and follow-up on outcomes with faculty, providers, and administration
- Receive compliments and suggestions to improve the patient experience at the College of Dental Medicine
Social Work Services
- Conduct patient interviews to learn more about our patients, address access to care issues, and potential barriers to treatment
- Provide education, support, and counseling regarding behaviors that promote health and wellness
- Assist patients in presenting important information to dental providers/faculty to facilitate interdisciplinary care planning and collaboration
- Provide external resources to social service agencies and/or other entities outside the College (e.g., housing, Medicaid, primary care provider, psychologist/psychiatrist, community agency)
We are at your service for appointments and walk-ins Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. If you do not have an appointment, please visit the reception desk to check availability.
For questions regarding the clinic or to make, change, or cancel an appointment, please call The Call Center directly at (212) 305-6100. Additional information for new patients can be found on our main Patient Care page.
Stacey Whalen, LMSW
Executive Director, of Patient Services, Social Work, and Community Practice
Office: (212) 305-7613
Director of Patient Relations, Patient Advocate
Office: (212) 305-8624
For more information about patient resources, visit Patient Resources.