Does the College of Dental Medicine award a DDS or a DMD degree?

Though there is no difference between the DDS and DMD, the College of Dental Medicine awards the traditional DDS degree.

Do you accept out-of-state applicants?

The College of Dental Medicine is a private school and we make no distinction between in-state and out-of-state applicants.

Can I take a tour of the school?

Tours are not given during the admissions season. If you are invited for an interview, you will be given a tour of the school at that time.

How many applications does the school receive? How difficult is it to get in?

The College of Dental Medicine received 1,669 applications for the DDS program in 2020-21.  Nearly one in seven AADSAS applications filed nationally was sent to Columbia. Approximately 231 were interviewed and 84 were enrolled.

Is work experience in a dental office required for admission to the school?

Work experience is not required for consideration or admission, but all applicants are expected to have strong background knowledge of and demonstrated interest in the dental profession.

Can I take my prerequisite courses at another school?

We accept course credit from any accredited U.S. or Canadian college or university.

Will you accept my credits from a college or university in another country?

We expect any credits taken while studying abroad to be reflected in your U.S. School official transcript. We do not expect that prerequisites be taken at an institution outside of the U.S.

I have taken a number of advanced science courses. Can I expect some of my basic science classes to be waived?

No coursework will be waived.

Do you accept the Canadian DAT?

Yes, but we prefer the U.S. DAT.

Can I waive the DAT if I have taken the MCAT?

No. You must take the DAT.

I currently work for a dentist. Can she write one of my letters of recommendation?

While we will accept a letter from a dentist, it will not satisfy the requirement. We require three academic references.

Do I have to send my letters and transcripts to the College of Dental Medicine and AADSAS?

No. Letters of recommendation and transcripts should be submitted through AADSAS. Additional letters of recommendation can be sent directly to the College of Dental Medicine.

I have been out of school for quite some time, but would like to attend dental school. Is that frowned upon?

The College of Dental Medicine encourages applications from non-traditional students.

Do I have to begin study in the fall? What about the spring?

All enrolled students must begin the DDS program in September; there is only one sitting for each academic year.

How can I check on the status of my application?

A candidate can check their application status online at the AADSAS application portal.

Can I transfer into the College of Dental Medicine from another dental school?

We do not accept transfer students.