Student Honor Code
This Student Honor Code and the College of Dental Medicine's Guidelines on Professionalism provide standards which are essential to ensure a student’s suitability to practice dentistry. By signing the College of Dental Medicine Student Honor Code, the student agrees to abide by its tenets. Violations of the Honor Code, even those that arise from lack of awareness or understanding, may lead to disciplinary action for the offending student.
As student dentists, we are embarking on a lifetime of service to our patients and our communities. As representatives of Columbia University, the College of Dental Medicine, and the dental profession, we commit ourselves to the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct and make the following pledges:
- I will maintain honesty and integrity in all aspects of my education.
- I will not cheat, plagiarize, use unauthorized materials, misrepresent my work, falsify data, or assist others in committing these acts.
- I will act respectfully during my interactions with patients, staff, faculty, and peers.
- I will commit myself to understanding and preserving professional ethics.
- I will commit myself to understanding and adhering to the College of Dental Medicine's Guidelines on Professionalism.
- I acknowledge that while in public, I represent the dental profession, Columbia University, and the College of Dental Medicine and will conduct myself responsibly.
By conducting ourselves with honesty, integrity, fairness, and respect for others, we foster a community capable of the free exchange of ideas and excellence in patient care. Behavior that deviates from these principles jeopardizes this achievement and, in some circumstances, patient safety. As such I understand it is my personal responsibility to confront and report such behavior via the reporting mechanisms described on the College of Dental Medicine website.
“On my honor, as a member of Columbia University’s College of Dental Medicine, I will adhere to the Student Honor Code delineated above."